Wednesday, September 19, 2007

The reason for the season

If you had asked me to tell you about my favorite season, up until about last year I would have gone on and on about how much I love Summer. Summer, Summer, Summer. Maybe it's because I'm getting old, or perhaps it's the irritating drought conditions or stifling humidity getting to me, but I am now a total Autumn convert. Summer had a good run, while I lived in Pennsylvania and the blessed microclimate of Northern California, but in North Carolina, Fall is where it's at.

Not only is the weather absolutely perfect, but all of the yummy produce that I've been missing since Spring is coming back! (Spring is great too, but because I prefer Halloween to Easter, Fall wins in the favorite season category) Thank you Mother Nature for creating the climate here that way. I'm already salivating over the recipes I've got in the works to include the sweet potatoes that are already showing up at the Market. And the lettuce - oh, the lettuce! I bought 5 varieties from Shelton Herb Farm today, and will use some for dinner tonight before even planting it- why wait?

Photo: 20 lettuce plants. Did I go overboard? I think not.

0 comments: