Monday, September 24, 2007

Local Producer: Black River Organic Farm

This Saturday the Farmers' Market will be blessed by the return of Black River Organic Farm after a well deserved vacation. They took a break during the transitional season between summer and winter crops, and I can't wait to see what they bring with them. Black Rivers' assistant farmer and market manager, Noel Mooney, answered some of my questions a while back:

1. You obviously know alot about what grows in this region - did you grow up here?

Yes, I grew up just north of here in Jacksonville, NC.

2. How did you get started with Black River?

I've known Stefan, the owner of Black River, since I started farming. I started a vegetable growing operation on another farm's land and worked a sharecropping situation for three years. During those three years I built a loyal customer base at the local farmers' markets and restaurants. Stefan asked me if I would work with him and continue the farmers' market with his farm.

3. I hear you're quite the forager. What's the oddest thing you've ever foraged for consumption?

I guess a lot of things I forage some people would consider odd. Lately I've been collecting Purslane, Black Cherries, Peppergrass, Indian Fig cactus pads, Chufa nuts, Yarrow, various Pine parts, Mullein, Chantrelle Mushrooms, Reishi mushrooms, Huitlacoche (aka corn smut) and several other plants and funguses.

4. Black River is the only certified organic grower at the market - tell me about that process. It's pretty complicated, no?

We have an on farm inspection every year, which inspects the operation from top to bottom. Not only inspecting what we do, but also looking for any potential for contamination through water, neighboring farms, etc. We also have to keep records for every seed and activity involving the land. All of this ensures that products carrying the USDA certified organic seal are grown without the use of synthetic pesticides, fertilizers, or genetically engineered organisms.

5. What are some North Carolina specific things I can look forward to in the fall? Also, will I ever be able to find the following things around here: artichokes, asparagus, rhubarb, portobello mushrooms - or do I have to say goodbye to them forever?

Well, North Carolina is the number one producer of sweet potatoes so you'll definitely see plenty of them at the market. You'll also see crops such as: broccoli, kale, collards, mesclun mix, carrots, radishes, arugula, turnips, and rutabaga.

Artichokes can be grown here and I have heard of one farmer in Jacksonville who had them but your best bet would be to grow them in your garden. There are new annual varieties that can be grown in one season and don't need zone 9 conditions. Asparagus can also be grown here my mom has a patch in her garden, and if I'm not mistaken I believe Lewis Farms carries them in the spring. Rhubarb isn't typically grown in NC since it likes cool temperatures and hates hot summers but if you baby it you could probably grow some in your garden, but I wouldn't expect to ever find it at the farmers market. Shiitakes would be your best bet for a Portobello substitution for the time being. Dr. Omon Isikhuemhen of NCA&T is working hard with lots of farmers from across the state to turn North Carolina into one of the top mushroom producing states in the country, so I wouldn't be too surprised to see local portobellos soon.

Noel is a fountain of knowledge - there's more where this came from! Stop by the Black River Organic Farm stand at the market and visit Noel, Danielle and the other lovely staff this weekend. Or, visit their website at http://www.blackriverorganicfarm.com/

4 comments:

Chef Jeena said...

Hi there you have a great blog,lovely recipes. Feel free to visit my blog too :)

Jeena xx

Click Here For Food Recipes

Stew said...

I'm a huge fan of foraging! I'm hoping for some watercress this weekend on the New.

Anonymous said...

Nice post and this mail helped me alot in my college assignement. Gratefulness you as your information.

Mike J said...

Hi Jessica. Looking forward to delving into your blog--so glad it's here. I notice that some of the posts are a little dated--have you continued this at another venue?--or maybe you're extremely busy these days. I know how time-consuming blogs are :) Happy holidays! I'll bookmark you to my blog anyways. Keep up the good work. (By the way, we Netflixed "Food,Inc." last night and we are on a search for local growers/farmers, that's how we found you.)

Best,Mike
http://lunaphyte.wordpress.com/