Tuesday, November 20, 2007

Thanksgiving Prep

Hello all. It's been crazy busy around here, so Thanksgiving has kind of snuck up on me. Luckily I've been planning for it since we started eating locally, because I knew that some of our Thanksgiving favorites would be out of season in November. I've frozen corn, green beans, and chicken broth; stocked up on sweet potatoes; foraged for pecans; and put in my order with Jackson Dairy. I'll be cooking for 6 this year, so I had to consider what would satisfy everyone. After lots of OCD like organizing and planning, I've come up with a menu that's going to be local and delicious. Here's what I'll be making:

  • Herb roasted turkey with homemade pan gravy
  • Chestnut stuffing
  • Mashed potatoes
  • Sweet potato puree with struesel topping
  • Baked corn
  • Sauteed green beans
  • Country white rolls
  • Chocolate pecan pie
  • Pumpkin pie
  • Mulled white wine

Phew. Luckily I'll have lots of hands on deck for the prep work. I did have to make some non-local purchases to make everything come together. I bought sticks of butter, since the butter from Jackson Dairy is salted, and I need unsalted for the pie. I also picked up an onion, since my storage onions sprouted, and some shallots since my sisters rely on my shallot pan gravy every year.

The rolls and pumpkin pie are from Great Harvest - bless them for being such fabulous bakers.

I'll try to post some recipes later. Does anyone else have any delicious local Thanksgiving ideas to contribute?

FYI: My laptop died this week and my camera is broken. Makes blogging a real pain.

0 comments: