Tuesday, February 12, 2008

The coconut ordeal

I loooooove fresh coconut, flaked coconut, and pretty much anything coconutty. So finding this locally grown coconut at the Saturday Morning Market was like hitting the jackpot for me. The coconut proprietor offered to husk it and put a hole in the top so I could drink the coconut milk, but I had bigger plans for it, so declined. Somehow there was a miscommunication and I ended up taking it home unhusked as well. I figured I would get it to my mom’s house, husk it, and take home the inner nut in my luggage. Weeeeellll, easier said than done.

It took three of my loving, patient and skilled family members to crack that coconut. An internet search on how to husk a coconut turned up some pretty hilarious videos, but nothing that was truly helpful. My mom took the first go by using a screwdriver and hammer. That made a pretty good crack, but didn’t really get through the fibers.


Then my uncle Steve took a saw to it, and created a pretty good incision all the way around. My grammy finished off the job by tearing away all the husk and leaving the cute little coconut inside. And, last, but not least, Sal cracked the nut when I brought it home. Grammy suggested maybe going for the Baker’s shredded coconut next time I get a hankering.


All of their hard work was truly appreciated though. I ate a bunch of fresh coconut pieces when I got home, put some in my oatmeal, and Sal shredded the rest for drying. I’m thinking coconut chicken, Polynesian salad, toasted coconut ice cream…ooh, the list is endless! My family is awesome.

1 comments:

Anonymous said...

LOL I couldnt help but laugh here, Jess. I kept getting flashbacks of a sesame street segment where they harvested coconuts, then used a massive machete to cut thought the layers and layers of fiber AND it looked darn near impossible then.

So I'm sorry, but I had some funny images in my head about your experience. Hope all is well, and your work paid off!