Monday, October 1, 2007

Local Producer: Nature's Way Farm and Seafood

Let me just say that I cannot live without cheese. (If you haven't noticed, I like to make dramatic statements.) I tried once, for awhile, when I was on a non-dairy diet for health reasons - recommended by Woody Harrelson during a yoga class, but that's another story. I was okay with switching to soy milk, and made do without butter, but I just could not do without the cheese. I have actually been called "the crazy cheese girl" once. If the shoe fits...

That said, I was a little worried about the cheese factor going into this way of eating. Lucky for us then, and everyone else around here, that Nature's Way Farm exists. Over the past few months I have tried their chevre, mozzarella (smoked and regular), pepperjack, cheddar, feta, gouda, romano, parmesan, and raw caraphilly - all made from goats' milk - and have never been disappointed.

Nature's Way is run by Tina and Bill Moller. Bill is their representative at the Farmers' Markets on Wed. and Sat., and he does his job well. He's friendly, generous and kind - which is a good business plan in my book. I'm looking forward to stopping by Nature's Way soon, when life is a little less hectic - you can too. In the meantime, stop by their stand and stock up on some amazing cheeses, fresh seafood, and great goat's milk products like cucumber-melon lotion and coconut soap.
Tina and Bill took some time out from their busy schedule to answer my questions:

You've got quite the combination of products - from shrimp to soap to cheese! Can you tell us a little bit about how you got started in the seafood and goat business?

I've been commercial fishing since 1971. In 1981 I hired Tina to pick clams for me on my clam dredge, by 1983 we got married. With the same goals, we got 3 1/2 acres in Sloop Point about 1/2 mile from the sound. Tina wanted livestock for pets, so sheep were selected followed by goats. Both being milk & cheese lovers Tina wasted no time in trying her hand at cheese making. By trial and error she developed a goat milk chevre that won best in show at the North Carolina Dairy Goat Breeders Association 2 years in a row. By then the soaps were also doing well and we started retailing some of my shrimp at the house. We slowly made the transition from selling wholesale to fishhouses to dealing direct with the public. In 2000 we became the only certified goat cheese dairy east of I 95. Our sales at the farm weren't enough to make it, but thanks to the Wilmington River Front Farmers' Market and now the Poplar Grove Farmers' Market, we are able to continue doing what we enjoy.

I'm always impressed with the number of cheeses you produce. What are some of your specialties, and how long does it take to make them?

The chevre was Tina's first cheese and is still her personal favorite. She makes it in 8 flavors - it takes 2 days to make. The mozzarella and blue are both very unique. The blue takes 6 weeks to make. Mozzarella takes about 2 days. The pimento is made with 3 different kinds of goat cheeses. Besides feta, Tina makes a variety of hard cheeses & they take 2-6 months. Oh, she's always working on something new, like a hard cheese soaked in red wine.

What are some of the differences between goat's milk and cow's milk products?

Goat's milk is easier to digest for two reasons. First, the fat particles are very small and second, the lactose is different from cows milk so many people who are lactose intolerant can drink it. It is also lower in fat and higher in calcium.

Where and how do you catch your seafood?

I mostly work close to home out of Topsail Sound. I fish crab pots, which not only supply my crabs but also stone crab claws. I set nets for the flounder, and the clams and oysters are caught either locally in public bottom or out of the 7 acre clam/oyster lease I have. Do to multiple reasons I chose to sell my shrimp boat this past spring. My many years in the business allow me to be able to get shrimp from friends still shrimping that maintan the same high standards I do. The dry pack sea scallops and hand picked crab meat is from Garland F. Fulcher Seafood Oriental, N.C. The crab cakes are made by Caroon Carb Co. Southport, N.C.

Is there anything else you'd like us to know about Natures Way?

Being a small working farm we not only enjoy our livelyhood but take pride in the products we offer to the public.

Nature's Way Farm is located at 115 Crystal Ct.Hampstead, NC. You can reach them at (910)270-3036.

1 comments:

Anonymous said...

Great cheese, great people...
Thanks KDSD