Monday, January 21, 2008

Recipe for a chilly, rainy day

This Saturday it rained all day - it was awesome. It was the start of a three day weekend, so we had pretty much already given ourselves the pass to laze about all day, but the rain just sealed the deal. I ended up getting some things done that I had been meaning to do, all at a leisurely pace. I finished Sal's scarf (that I started last year - hey, better late than never!), did the laundry, and read some magazines that had been piling up. Finally, I decided that I wanted to bake something warm and yummy. I searched around the kitchen for ingredients that would perhaps meet my craving requirements, but that wouldn't sit around for days tempting me with deliciousness. I had: apples that were going soft, a never ending stash of oatmeal, and peanut butter.


Apples and peanut butter are perfect together, so figured that someone in the universe had to have been smart enough to put these two into a recipe for cookies. A quick search of the internet told me that yes, such a cookie does exist. However, it was tough finding one that I could adapt to my local stash. I finally settled on one from Cooks.com that I changed a bit, but the results were totally satisfying. They totally hit the spot on the chewy, peanut buttery scale - and really can't be that fattening, right? I hope not, since I ate half the batch in one sitting. Here it is if you want to try for yourself:

Mix:
3 tbsp. butter
3/4 cup peanut butter

Add and mix in:
1/2 cup sugar (or honey)
2 egg whites
2 tbsp. skim milk
1/2 tsp. baking soda

Add and mix in:
3/4 cup flour
3/4 cup oats
1 medium apple (peeled and finely diced - 3/4 cup)

Stir until mixed; drop by tablespoons onto ungreased cookie sheet; flatten slightly.
Bake at 350 degrees for 12-14 minutes.
Makes about 1.5 dozen cookies.



2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I like how when I click on the picture, it refreshes to an enormous size. It makes me feel like I'm sitting at your kitchen table.

We had similar weather here. After spending 10 minutes in my office, I decided to go home and watch television all day, it was awesome.

Jessica said...

I hadn't realized that gigantification feature of that photo - that's pretty cool.

I'm glad you got to chill at home on your rainy Saturday too. Working on the weekends is totally uncalled for.