Tuesday, January 15, 2008

They're heeeeere!

My order from Baker's Creek Heirloom Seeds arrived on Friday, a mere 5 days after placing my order online. That's fabulous customer service. All my selections were in stock, and they even included a free gift of Tropeana Round onions, which I can't find in their catalog, but I'm assuming must be the same as the Tropeana Lunga they have listed?

Since I basically have no idea what I'm doing when it comes to gardening (though I don't let that stop me!), I made a visit to our local library and picked up an armful of books on growing heirloom seed and the like. A couple of them ended up to be hugely helpful, so I'm going to buy them. Here are my favorites so far:

Seed Sowing and Saving: Step-by-Step Techniques for Collecting and Growing More Than 100 Vegetables, Flowers, and Herbs

Carrots Love Tomatoes: Secrets of Companion Planting for Successful Gardening

The North Carolina Fruit & Vegetable Book

I'll probably go back and get another load of books and add more to this list next week. God, I love the library. And books in general. As a complete side - I also adore the Amazon feature that suggests other books you may like based on your shopping cart. Just by adding these three books to my cart I've already discovered like, five others I now want. But I'll check them out at the library first - Amazon doesn't always know what it's talking about.

Oh, one more useful thing that my mom got me for Christmas (thanks, mom!), is this garden journal. It's got weekly entry sections to record what you've planted, what the weather was like, etc. and it's got little tips and info specifically for North Carolina. I've been good about recording for the past two weeks, but then again, it's only mid-January. We'll see how long I can consistently keep it up.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I would recommend Suzanne Ashworth's "Seed to Seed" over "Seed Sowing and Saving". Really good stuff and recommended for every gardeners reference shelf.

Anonymous said...

You'll have a great time. Don't forget the NC Cooperative Extension publications. They rock.

OH, btw, I need to email you about something work-related. I hope I remember to do so.

Jessica said...

Thanks for the book idea, Trace - that was actually one of the Amazon recommendations. There's not a copy at the library to preview though, so I'll try to find it at B&N to have a browse through. The thing I liked about Seed Sowing and Saving is that it's basically an idiot's guide to starting out. That's where I am. Any kind of "Do exactly this" visuals are helpful. I follow directions well.

Stew - also thanks for the NCCE reminder. I'll watch for your email.