Tuesday, January 1, 2008

Ringing it in

I really do love celebrating the arrival of a new year. Okay sure, alot of that usually has to do with champagne, but what I like most is the idea of a clean slate - that fresh start. I'm a minimalist kind of girl, and the start of a new year always inspires me to purge the closets, organize my files, and begin again with only what I need.

I also like the idea of making New Year's Resolutions. I try to stick with attainable, meaningful goals that I think will make a difference in my life in some way.

Last year's (which were almost all attained, save one) were:

  1. See 4 new movies at the theater. Check. ( I had previously thought I'd only seen three, but realized we also went to see The Future of Food at UNCW, which I think counts.)
  2. Try 3 new foods. Check. (I actually waaay surpassed this thanks to our local eating. Rutebagas - who knew?)
  3. Invite over/hang out with 3 new people. Also check.
  4. Take a class for fun. Check - Spanish class at Centro Latino. Not the best, but fun.
  5. Walk for exercise three times a week. Nope. Try again this year.
This year is a little harder. If you hate me after I say this, it's okay: I'm quite content with my life the way it is right now, and am not hugely motivated to make dramatic, life altering changes. I am happy. After much thought though, I've come up with these - may add more later...
  1. Add at least 5 more vegetable varieties to our garden to expand our eating self sufficiency. Try not to kill them.
  2. Call/email at least one faraway friend per month.
  3. Call H to schedule at least 4 sessions of cake decorating lessons.
  4. Do my best to create more good in the world. Try not to be an ass.
  5. Okay fine... Exercise three days a week.
You may notice that I didn't say anything about blogging more often. It's a goal, but not one that I'm going to be tied to. I spend way to much time on the internet anyway.

So that being said - I hope you have a wonderful, peaceful, meaningful 2008!

2 comments:

Sharona May said...

Wow! way to go on your New Year's Resolutions. I am not a big resolution setter but my husband usually sets out a few goals to achieve. Last year his big one was a Marathon and yup - he ran the NY City Marathon this Nov.

Good Luck
Sharona May
http://birdfood-sharona.blogspot.com/

Jessica said...

Go Sharona's husband! And I felt successful trying 3 new foods. :)