Monday, October 8, 2007

A Monday moment

The past few weeks have been a whirlwind around here. Besides the brisk pace of our day jobs, Sal and I have had several home improvement projects in various levels of completion to contend with each day. We've been getting up around 6:30 - working all day, fulfilling other commitments - teaching, tutoring, etc. after work, then coming home to paint, clean, shop or organize our way through some aspect of our home transformation, usually followed by falling into bed exhausted around 10:30. Next day: repeat. Weekends: ditto. In reality, the projects aren't huge, just time consuming, and have eaten up lots of our "free" time. I have no idea how we'd do it if we had children - part of the reason we're taking care of these things now.

So a bit of my going on about how busy I've been is to offer an explanation of why the past few weeks have been more about others than about how we're faring here. Much of our busy-ness has been due to local eating issues: in direct ways - like planting veggies, and in not so obvious ways - like putting in a fence gate and an additional door in our garage for easier access to our garden and composter.

Instead of posting a Local Producer Spotlight this week, I thought I'd introduce you to some of our newest crops - which will be our own local producers in the coming months and years.

Here's proof that life is moving way too quickly. There was nothing sprouting in this pot just 48 hours ago. I went out this morning to find a ton of little carrot plants fighting their way out of the soil. I'll have to thin them out later, but for now; look at them go!


Here are our newest surprise additions from Shelton Herb Farm: Lemongrass and Ginger. I had no idea either of them would grow here. Ooooh, the cooking possibilities!


Part of our little potted jungle: basil, chives, dill, cilantro, parsley, tarragon, mint, jalapenos, rosemary, lemongrass, ginger, and avocado.



Oh, and by the way, I'm also hoping to make this site a little more user-friendly, as I'm anticipating some increased traffic in the next few weeks. So if you get an "Under Construction" message, don't fret.

0 comments: