Monday, October 22, 2007

State Fair

On Saturday, Sal and I made our annual trek up to Raleigh for the North Carolina State Fair. We decided to make this a tradition when we first moved here, and have looked forward to it every year since.

I looove the State Fair for lots of reasons, but mostly because its a giant, messy, conglomeration of all things great and disturbing about North Carolina. It's supposed to be a celebration of NC Agriculture, and really is, despite the amount of commercialized junk that prevails there. I love seeing the craft and food entries; cases and cases of displayed jam, pickles, preserves, and even cakes, diligently created by folks all over the state and submitted with the hopes of winning the $8 or so first prize. I also love the art show, the produce competitions, cow judging, flower and garden displays, and all of the animal shows.

For all of the wonderful opportunities at the fair, here are some things I pretty easily managed to restrain myself from doing:
  • Buying an airbrushed sweatshirt with my own name on it
  • Joining the military
  • Eating a deep fried anything

Here are some things I couldn't help myself from:

  • Eating a scoop of NC State creamery ice cream as big as my head
  • Rubbing the heads of some cute animals even though the signs clearly said NO!
  • Pocketing a banana at the hotel buffet

Another fun year celebrating the varied agriculture of NC, and all the weird people who enjoy it.

Seriously, could you resist these guys?

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

The Cape Fear Fair and Expo is coming up. You should enter the canned goods competition.

Jessica said...

That is so nice of you to say so - but I'm thinking I might embarrass myself a little bit. Plus, I don't have the stock to let them open up and taste. I think I'll start preparing for next year though, and maybe take some of my flowers and herbs. Are you entering?