Monday, October 15, 2007

Score!

I made a glorious find this weekend while conducting a thorough cleaning out of all our closets, drawers and various nooks and crannies throughout the house. I was looking for stuff to put in the yard sale we had Saturday, and came across our hurricane food supply shoved into a corner of the garage. We had stocked up on various canned goods when we moved here - convinced that a hurricane induced power outage would indeed one day force us to sit in the dark for a week eating green beans out the can while sipping Crystal Light. Needless to say we haven't had a storm that's left us without power for more than 10 hours and so haven't touched the kit in years. Well, except for the cans Chef Boyardee ravioli Sal has pilfered a few times as a snack.

The contents of the kit are expired, but we're going to give them a try anyway. The shining star of the group is the box of Saltines which is a key ingredient in Southern style squash casserole. I've been substituting bread crumbs, which are okay, but aren't quite right. There are also canned peaches, pineapple, fruit cocktail, pears, peas, corn, green beans and tuna. I'm not so sure about the tuna though. We've also got some boxed soy milk, peanut butter crackers, cereal, crunchy peanut butter, strawberry jam, cran-raspberry juice, applesauce, and the aforementioned Crystal Light lemonade mix. That's some high class hurricane planning, folks.

I'm going to figure out what I can make using all this found food, and incorporate it into our menus over the next few months.

3 comments:

Abby said...

I've never had squash casserole with saltines in it; my mom always made it with cornbread dressing on top! (As do I these days.) And I agree that I'd stay away from the tuna. Ew.

Jessica said...

Oh yum! The cornbread dressing sounds even better. I'll definitely give that a go next time!

Anonymous said...

Jessica, I saw the article in the paper and have enjoyed the site. Thanks for the links to local farmers! I passed your site to a friend in Charlotte doing something similar... thought you might want to see her site too!
www.charlottelocalfood.com