Monday, July 23, 2007

Dairy delivery


You probably don't hear anyone say this often, but...I love Mondays. No, I'm not masochistic, it's just that Mondays are when we get our home delivery from Jackson Dairy. Today our order consisted of 2 half gallons each of 2% milk, 2 half gallons of skim, a half gallon of chocolate milk (as a special treat for Sal), heavy cream, and coffee creamer. I'm going to use about half of our order for making cheese and yogurt.

I found out about Jackson Dairy while searching for a local source of milk. Although I've been a soy milk kinda girl for about the last four years, I figured that I'd be more likely to find a local dairy source than a soy milk producer. I was familiar with Jackson Dairy already, because they supply the ice cream mix for the folks at Lewis Farms, which is in walking distance of our home, and whose ice cream is to die for. At the time, I had no idea that they had a home delivery service in Raleigh. When we started our local lifestyle, I called Jackson to see if they sold retail products, and found out that they sell a variety of dairy items, including 12 flavors of ice cream. Speaking of ice cream, they also provide ice cream mix to several other Wilmington businesses, including Boombalattis, Cubbies, Kohl's at Carolina Beach and College Station. Just finding out that I could get local ice cream once Lewis closed was enough to sell me.

When I called Jackson Dairy, I spoke to Cris Jackson, the owner and delivery man extraordinaire. He explained the home delivery deal to me: $4.00 delivery fee and they deliver once a week on Monday. Their milk is produced without the use of pesticides, herbicides, or chemical fertilizers on grazing crops, no genetically modified crops are planted, and no hormones or antibiotics are given to the pasture-raised cows.

As far as taste goes, nothing can compare. The milk that I received today at 11:00 was produced and bottled this morning. I don't know if a milk expert equivalent of a somellier exists, but if so, I bet they would say that the Jackson Dairy milk has hints of grass and wheat on the nose, a full bodied flavor and is sweet on the finish. But that's just me.

I finally got to meet Cris today, and he allowed me to snap this handsome photo. To read more about this delightful great-grandad to-be (who would believe it?!), check out this article in the Raleigh News and Observer href="http://www.newsobserver.com/105/story/558257.html">, or visit their link under my Local Producers sidebar.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

I met Cris today as well. He met with Craig and I at Tidal Creek. We're going to start carrying Jackson Dairy milk, butter and ice cream at the store. Thanks for the heads up!

Anonymous said...

Mmmmmm.....chocolate milk

SP

Anonymous said...

I drove up to Jackson's yesterday. Came back with 2 gals of 2%, a 1/2 each of 2% and whole, 2 chocolate milk chugs for my daughter, 2 pints of their coffee creamer (ingredients - milk, cream, sodium citrate - what a concept, no nasties!), and just to try, 3 pints of their ice cream - no-sugar vanilla (with Splenda, not aspartame), apple (creamy with chunks of apple), and sweet potato!! (sorta like pumpkin pie flavor but subtle and creamy again...very very good)

Trying to get them to deliver down here, Cris mentioned that if there were more folks in the area it'd be easier for him to come down weekly...I'd be ordering for us plus my mom & dad and possibly my aunt as well. As of now we get the 2% at the coop, but wanted to try his other products, can you believe their gallons are only $4.25??!! Shame that he's phasing them out of the home delivery, so I might possibly just make the trek every other week and pick up a standing order. The way my daughter goes thru milk....plus my dad really likes the 1/2 & 1/2 for his coffee, and I want to try & get them away from doing their shopping at freakin' Sam's Club.....

Love the blog!, we're learning a lot.

Chris in Hampstead (down the street from Natures Way)

Jessica said...

Hey Chris - thanks for the comments. I looove their coffee creamer too. I actually made myself stop ordering it for awhile because I was drinking a pint a week in my coffee - not too healthy.

We're also still working on getting other people in my neighborhood to get on board with the home delivery. Lucky for us that Cris has to come to Lewis Farms every week in the Spring, so he's been willing to deliver to just us. I'm going to try to drum up some more business for him though, once Lewis opens again. You just can't beat the freshness of their milk!