Friday, August 31, 2007

The best part of waking up

Full disclosure time: During my local eating, I have never given up coffee. Not like, I really tried and just couldn't do it - I just never even tried. I'm not one of those 5 cup-per-day habit folks...I just need my one, perfect, black, cup per morning. Plus, I don't think I could resist the smell of coffee brewing at work - or anywhere else for that matter.

I think I may love the smell of coffee even more than I love the coffee itself. There's something entirely seductive about the smell of freshly ground coffee that just takes over my olfactory system. To me, it's the crispness of early morning, the laziness of a rainy day, the comfort of routine, the company of friends - and the nostalgia of my grandfather. So, I'm not giving up coffee. That's all there is to it.

Well, not really. I mean, if I'm going to keep on with the coffee habit, I can at least make a better choice than the giant tub of Folger's we've been buying. A little social responsibility is in order, perhaps? Anyone want to devise a way to grow coffee beans in the greater Wilmington area? No? Alrighty then, I started by ditching the Folger's (once we were out of course) and headed over to Folks Cafe on Market Street to get me some socially responsible coffee. Now apparently, I can get Folks coffee cheaper at Tidal Creek, which I may do in the future, but since I was on my way to Centro Latino anyway, I went straight to the source.

Folks serves/sells only Organic and Fair Trade coffees and teas. That's important because there are lots of choices to fuel my coffee drinking habit, without making me feel too guilty for the non-localness of my morning beverage. This go-round I chose a half pound of Bolivia coffee which was roasted that morning and ground for me on the spot. As a bonus, I left the package in my car while I went to my Spanish class, and now my car still smells like coffee. So much more effective than one of those hanging tree air freshener thingies.


Photo: No, this coffee is not from Bolivia, North Carolina.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I'm back on coffee every now and again. It's just too good to say no to.

Jessica said...

I'm kind of glad to have a partner in crime. As an update - we finished the Bolivia off pretty quickly, so our next purchase was the Organic Love Buzz from Tidal Creek. The name says it all.