Tuesday, August 7, 2007

Family trees


Monday:
We had what I consider to be a perfect day today. I got up before the sun to have some coffee with my dad before he headed off to work, then got busy planning what to do with the next 15 hours or so.

First on the agenda was a little tour of my hometown. It takes all of about 5 minutes to drive the whole thing, but I wanted to see what was new - and whether we could find any Amish farmstands open. No luck on the fresh produce, but we did see an old friend working on his farm and stopped to chat for a couple of minutes.

From there we headed on to my grandparents house for some quality time, and picked up some juicy yellow plums at a farmstand on the way. Then to my cousin's new farmhouse just outside town - which was like hitting the local food jackpot. My cousin Mikey was able to purchase the circa 1930s house and 2 acres from his grandparents about a year ago, and he and his family got busy planting a couple gardens. They were generous enough to send us off loaded down with fruit and vegetables: blueberries off the wild trees behind the house, tomatoes, peaches from the farmer next door, onions and potatoes from their garden, some homemade blackberry jam, and most notably, canned venison from last hunting season, courtesy of my cousin Marc.

We left with our arms and hearts overflowing with the fruits of my family's kindness. Not a bad way to spend a day.

A couple of photos from Monday...

Energy efficient Amish clothesline

Farmstand plums

Michel picking blueberries

0 comments: