Tuesday, August 28, 2007

Up North again

I was away again this past weekend - one last hurrah before the year gets really crazy. I got to see some longtime friends, which was fabulous. Amidst all of the catching up, I managed to fit in some local eating, which as I've mentioned before, is really easy to do in Pennsylvania. Among this weekend's bounty was some (okay, a lot of) locally produced wine - including some made by the parents of a friend, tomatoes from my friend Laura's garden, some seriously delicious raspberries from a roadside stand, and of course, the must have - sweet corn. I also got to bring home some Amish-produced cow's milk cheddar cheese as a gift for Sal, which he used in the Zucchini Quiche recipe below. Oh, and also...I stocked up on a regional (though of course, not really local) delicacy that my sisters love: Tastykakes. Lord above those things are delicious and nostalgia inspiring. My great grandmother always had Butterscotch Krimpets on hand, and I pretty much ate a pack of Kandy Kakes every day in 7th and 8th grade. Charming, I know. Anyway, it was an excellent weekend overall - here are some photos to prove it.

Roadside produce stand


Some PA produce offerings


I couldn't resist this anatomically correct eggplant! :)


Laura's yummy tomatoes

0 comments: