Thursday, August 30, 2007

The way to a man's heart

One of the things that has been slightly challenging about a local diet has been making sure that meals are filling enough for Sal. I could easily make a meal out of a tomato and piece of bread, whereas I'm married to a man who once ate a 3 lb. cheeseburger in under 30 minutes (it's a long story). Not to say that I'm not an eater - case in point: I once finished an entree at Carrabba's and was told by the waiter that he had never (his emphasis) seen anyone finish it before....which made me simultaneously feel like popping him in the face, and also, a bit proud. But typically, I can get by on a small meal and feel adequately satisfied. Not so much for Sal.

So I feel kind of bad on evenings like tonight. I came home from Spanish class and found the guys next door grilling out Bratwurst - very manly, and one of Sal's favorites. However, I had different plans for dinner...

we were having crepes.

Just saying the word crepes probably makes some men feel a little girly, but whatever. I had been planning on making them for weeks, and after being inspired by Trace's sourdough pancakes over at Cricketbread, I decided that tonight would be as good as any to give them a go. Sal, in his good natured way (and probably unaware of the Bratfest happening under his nose), had made up the batter while I was gone - but the making and flipping was up to me. Apparently I have some sort of French gene that has gone undetected until now, because I flipped the heck out of those crepes and didn't break a one.

We each ended up with four crepes, which turned out to be an amazingly filling meal for both of us. This go around we filled them with some Herbs d'Provence spreadable goat's cheese from Nature's Way and some sliced tomatoes - but the possibilities are endless. I actually saved one of mine to use as dessert - I filled it with peanut butter from the Farmers' Market and some contraband chocolate chips we've had in the freezer for awhile. Holy delicious goodness. They're super easy to make, so when you're in a bind for a filling, delicious, and dare I say - manly - meal, go on and make yourself some crepes.

0 comments: